I have no excuse for being lazy. These shows are about to finish this week, I still have my first impression drafts undone. So I’m posting this: it’s more of a list I usually make as I watch an episode. It’s just to let you know what I initially thought of them. It’s raw and unedited, so I’m not too sure if you’ll understand what I meant by my notes. I just want to put it out here.
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai
- Good battle scene with Ohtori but lacks decent animation
- Art/animation sucks in different angles and far views. Closeups are fine
- Atypical male protagonist
- However characters are too generic. Actions seem forced, awkward.
- Don’t like the VA cast. Ohtori’s VA is a great actress but don’t fit the role.
- Plot unknown
- Blood scenes looked too force to make it seem like a “dark anime”
- Boring theme song animation. Don’t like the song either.
- Probably won’t continue watching it.
Status/Verdict: Dropped, even after the three-episode test. Too boring, also sucked.
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider
- Great art. Character animation not so much. Character design = don’t see Asana Inio’s style, more on Okuda Yoshiko (Black Lagoon, Saint Young Men, Sukitte Ii na Yo)
- Theme performance = A. Animation is cool.
- Intro to plot seems forced. Though it made me curious in the end. Dull pilot ep.
- Plot seems to be one of those philosophical shows. Lots of mystery but feels like it will just be left unanswered in the end. Feels like Steins;Gate.
- Characters doesn’t make me warm up to them. A bit too awkward? VA is good, but feels like the character doesn’t fit the VA not the other way around.
- Moe’s a shallow character. Doesn’t seem to understand the curiosity scientists have and their appreciation to fellow colleagues. She’s too focused on getting the professor’s attention. Don’t like her character.
- Saikawa’s not really a convincing character/professor, seems like a perverted old man in a body of a “young” professor. Don’t like the glorification of smoking, is it needed to make the professor look cool?
Status/Verdict: Not exactly dropped, might watch it eventually. Haven’t tried watching until episode 3. The pilot ep wasn’t that interesting to make me wanna watch the succeeding episodes.
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
- Art and animation is good. CG isn’t that bad.
- Weird liking for bones.
- But it appears as a way to introduce it like a Sherlock show. With the observations.
- Don’t like the opening theme song. Animation is cool though. I like the ending.
Status/Verdict: Surprisingly one of the shows this season that I kept up with. I just like this type of show that solves cases.
Other notes: I didn’t understand some of my comments when I read it again, lol. Don’t judge too much, I don’t know what was going on my mind or how I felt about the show at the moment when I wrote them. Again, raw and unedited. It can be hard to recall the reason behind each comment.